registering a vehicle in hawaii

All vehicles must be registered in the State of Hawaii. You have 30 days from the date listed on the Bill of Lading (shipping receipt) to complete Hawaii registration before incurring State of Hawaii penalties.  You may choose to keep your current state license plates. You will need to obtain an out-of-state permit from the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) to attach to your registration. You will receive a blue sticker to place on the bumper of your vehicle as required per the state when all the requirements listed below are met.  When the out-of-state registration expires, you may switch to Hawaii registration or choose to renew your out-of-state plates. The registered owner will be required to renew both the out-of-state as well as the Hawaii state registration to ensure compliance to maintain the out-of-state permit registration current.

Steps to Register Your Vehicle with State of Hawaii

1. Hawaii No-Fault Insurance must be obtained within 24 hours from the date listed on the Bill of Lading (shipping receipt).  You will need watermark insurance card print out or digital/electronic copy for valid proof of insurance.  Feel free to have it faxed to either office providing you with the service.

  • Camp H. M. Smith Pass & ID Bldg. 601 Fax: (808) 477-8733

  • PMO Customer Service Center Bldg. 1095 Fax: (808) 257-0130

  • Visitor’s Contractor Center Bldg. 1637 (Pass House) Fax: (808) 257-0072

2. Obtain a CS-L 50 – Non- Resident Form, issued at the locations mentioned in step 1.

  • Must have title, out-of-state registration, notarized Bill of Sale, or temporary registration.

3. Obtain a failed Hawaii Safety Check/Inspection.

  • Appointments for Safety Inspections on MCBH can be made at Firestone or 5-0 Motors.

  • For modified vehicles, the registered owner is required to obtain a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection (RECON).

4. Go to Satellite City Hall to register your vehicle.

  • You must have Registration, temporary registration or Notarized Bill of Sale, Failed Safety, Bill of lading (Shipping Receipt), and current Hawaii No Fault Insurance.

  • Registration must be complete within 30 days of the shipping receipt, or you will incur penalties from the State of Hawaii.

5. Return to where failed Safety/Inspection Check was issued.

  • You must have HI registration or out-of-state registration, Hawaii No Fault Insurance and failed safety. You will be issued safety inspection paper to keep and a sticker to place on the bumper of your vehicle.

  • Returning to the same location ensures that you will only pay once for the Safety Inspection.

base vehicle registration

Vehicle registration is required for all active-duty service members, reservists on Active Duty for Operational Support orders, reserve service members in the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) or an Individual Mobilization Augmentation (IMA) Unit, dependents, and civilian employees who live or work aboard MCBH within 30 days of arrival. Retirees are encouraged to register their vehicles. 

*Barracks residents are authorized to register one automobile and one motorcycle only*

  • Visitor Contractor Center aka Pass House - located at Bldg. 1637 by MCBH Main Gate, (Mon – Fri 0600 - 1400)

  • PMO Service Center - located at Bldg. 1095 first floor, (Mon-Fri 0730-1530)

  • Camp Smith Pass & ID - Bldg. 601, (Mon-Fri 0630-1500)

In All Cases, The Following Documentation Is Required:

  • Military, military family member, or civilian ID.

  • A valid State operator's license. Temporary or provisional licenses, international driver's license, and permits do not satisfy the requirement for registration. (Please note some states do not honor automatic extensions for military and require you to renew or carry a form in addition to your license.  Check with your current state DMV)

  • A current State vehicle registration, temporary registration, notarized Bill of Sale, or transferred title.

  • Hawaii Out of State Permit. Personnel who wish to keep their out of state license plates must obtain a State of Hawaii Out of State Permit before a long-term vehicle pass is issued.

  • Safety Inspection. All privately owned vehicles, regardless of the state of registration, must have a valid State of Hawaii inspection decal.

  • Proof of Hawaii No-Fault liability insurance. The minimum insurance coverage(s) in Hawaii are as follows:

    • $20,000 bodily injury per accident.

    • $40,000 bodily injury per person.

    • $10,000 property damage.

  • Proof of completion of the MarineNet Driver Awareness Training (or equivalent) for military members under the age of 26.

  • MCBH Vehicle Registration form signed by an E8 or above within the service members command is required for E5 and below.

  • A registered owner of a motor vehicle registered aboard MCBH will notify the VC within 24-hours of their transfer from, or termination of, employment. The transfer of title, sale, or significant change of vehicle appearance (e.g., painted a different color) must also be reported.

Registration of Motorcycles and Moped for Active Duty or Reserves Will Need The Above as Well as:

  • Course Current BRC/ARC/BRC2/ERC/MSRC

  • Motorcycle permit or license with motorcycle endorsement OR provide enrollment in the motorcycle.

All motorcycles entering MCBH are required to follow MCBHO 5100.23.

Falsifying information contained in an application to permanently register a vehicle may warrant disciplinary action or prosecution.

For additional questions regarding vehicle registration, please call (808) 257-0183 / (808) 257-2047 / (808) 477-8735.

pet registration

Pet Registration is handled in the Game Wardens Office by contacting (808) 257-1821 or (808) 330-3807.


The following is required to register a canine on MCBH:

1. Canine must be brought in to verify breed. Currently prohibited breeds are Pit Bulls and Rottweilers or any mix of. 

2. Current rabies vaccine. 

3. Vaccinated for distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. 

4. Canine retains a microchip.

5. Canines are no longer required to be registered with the City and County of Honolulu. 


The following is required to register a feline on MCBH:

1. Current rabies vaccine.

2. Vaccinated for rhinotracheitis, calico, panleukopenia and leukemia. 

3. Feline retains a microchip. 

Pet Letter of Warning

A Pet Letter of Warning will be issued for any violation of the base regulations regarding any domestic pet. Pet Letter Of Warnings can be issued for animal nuisance, animal bites, and/or animal neglect/cruelty. The number of Pet Letter Of Warnings issued is on a case-to-case basis. 

privately owned firearm registration

MCBH Firearms registration is conducted to ensure proper registration aboard the installation. Unit CO/XO/SgtMajs will be contacted via email to ensure that they are aware of the service members pending Honolulu Police Department registration.  Please contact our office (808)257-1264/0183 to ensure all necessary personnel are notified.

Per Base Order 5532 Ch 5, all weapons must be registered in the State of Hawaii with the Honolulu Police Department (HPD) within 48 hours of arrival.

Firearms must first be registered with HPD before they can be registered aboard MCBH.

Base registration for privately owned firearms is conducted by PMO records section at:

  • PMO Service Center Building 1095, Kaneohe Bay

  • Bldg. 601, Camp Smith

Personnel must bring the HPD registration form, military identification, or CAC card if civilian, and state driver’s license with them to register their weapon(s). Do not bring the weapon(s) to PMO. PMO will issue a firearm pass upon registration that must always accompany the weapon.

Personnel residing in BEQs/BOQs, TLF or Barracks must store weapons in their unit armory. A statement from the armory must be obtained before registering with PMO Services Center.

**Weapon(s) requiring registration and ammunition may not be kept in any BEQ/BOQ, TLF or Barracks**

Should any question arise about the need to register a weapon contact PMO immediately and seek clarification at (808) 257-0183, for afterhours assistance (808) 257-2123.

For more information on Firearms registration with the Honolulu Police Department, please visit

Marine Corps Base Hawaii