What is DEERS?
DEERS is the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. It is the an automated information system designed to maintain timely and accurate information on service members and dependents who are eligible for military benefits and entitlements, and to detect and prevent fraud and abuse in the distribution of these benefits and entitlements.
Why should service members update their information in DEERS?
Updating information in DEERS is key to maintaining eligibility for TRICARE and other military benefits.
When should service members update their information in DEERS?
DEERS should be updated anytime a service member moves, changes status, gets married or divorced, has an additional dependent, etc. In other words, any change that would affect benefits and entitlements for the member and his or her dependents should be recorded in DEERS. Additionally, DEERS information should be reviewed for accuracy once a year.
How do service members update DEERS?
There are several ways to update DEERS information.
(1) A request to add, delete or change information can be initiated with a request through your nearest military personnel office.
DEERS/RAPIDS Site Locator
(2) The member can call the DEERS Support Office toll-free telephone number:
(800) 527-5602 -- Alaska/Hawaii
(800) 334-4162 -- California
(800) 538-9552 -- All Other States
(Note: the best time to call the DEERS Support Office in order to avoid delays is between 0600-1500, pacific time.)
(3) The member can also visit the DEERS web site at: http://www.TRICARE.osd.mil/DEERSAddress
(4) Changes can also be faxed to (831) 655-8317
(5) Sending an E-Mail to email@example.com is another easy option
(6) Finally, changes can be mail to the following address
DEERS Support Office
ATTN: COA, 400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
Can I take my ID picture in civilian attire if I am on active duty?
Yes, civilian attire is authorized as long as it complies with current local regulations; also military grooming standards apply regardless if in military or civilian attire when taking the photo.