The Marine Corps Base Hawaii Legal Assistance Office provides specific types of legal services to Marine Corps families enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). The Attorney for Exceptional Family Members for Hawaii and the Pacific region is located at the Legal Assistance Office (Bldg. 215), and his contact information can be found below:
Attorney for Exceptional Family Members - 808-257-6736
The Attorney for Exceptional Family Members provides legal services for the following topics and issues:
- Consultations on Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Consultations on Section 504 Plans
- Requests for accommodations for special education and medical disability services and benefits in the Hawaii State public schools
- Represents clients at Mediation, Arbitration, and/or other Alternative Dispute Resolution sessions for disputes with Hawaii State public schools and/or the Hawaii State Department of Education
- Represents clients at Due Process Hearings for claims of violations of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and/or Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) policies.
- Consultations on Special Needs Trusts, ABLE accounts, medical disability benefits and services, and ADA-approved housing.
What is the EFMP?
The EFMP is a confidential & mandatory program for dependents who have medical or educational special needs. It is a program designed to coordinate PCS assignments for active duty sponsors that ensures the availability and accessibility of necessary medical and/or educational services for Exceptional Family Members.
Learn more about the Marine Corps Base Hawaii EFMP office by clicking on the following link: https://mccshawaii.com/efmp/
Who is an Exceptional Family Member?
• Dependent of active duty service member
• Spouse, child, parent
• Resides with the sponsor
• Requires medical specialty care or
• Has a chronic medical condition that requires more than annual visits with primary care physician
• Eligible for Early Intervention Services
• Eligible for Special Education
What are the benefits of enrollment?
Click here to learn about family support services offered through EFMP
If you are anticipating orders and want to apply for base housing at MCB Hawaii or your next duty location, please contact your EFMP Family Case Worker for assistance. Your caseworker will request a letter from HQMC EFMP that you may submit with your advanced housing application, in lieu of web orders. Not sure who your EFMP Family Case Worker is? You can email the MCB Hawaii EFMP office at email@example.com or call the main office line at 808-257-0290 for assistance.
Hawaii State Department of Education – Special Education resources:
Hawaii State Department of Education – Individualized Education Program resources:
Hawaii Special Education Guidelines